Propane Safety

Propane Safety

Carbon Monoxide

Download Carbon Monoxide Information PDF

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that cannot be detected through sense of smell or taste. Exposure to carbon monoxide may cause you to experience any or all of these symptoms:

  • Headaches, tightness across the forehead and temples
  • Weariness, weakness, dizziness and vomiting
  • Loss of muscular control
  • Watering and smarting of the eyes

If any of these symptoms develop, move outdoors immediately. Have your propane system and attached appliances inspected and repaired before you return to the building or area where carbon monoxide is suspected.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Never use the oven or range top burners to provide space heating.
  • Never use indoors, camping, construction, “Mr. Heater,” or other portable heaters that are not designed and listed for indoor use with propane.
  • Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
  • Have all appliances tested for proper operation by a qualified propane gas technician.
  • Always be certain that your appliances are properly vented.
  • Commercially available carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every level of your home to alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide.

Your safety, and the safe use of your propane gas system are our primary concern. Please contact us if you ever have any questions about the operation, or maintenance of your propane gas system and appliances.